[gmx-users] hints for core/shell optimization?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:04:13 CEST 2014

On 8/1/14, 6:13 AM, Tamas Karpati wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
>>> If I have a Mg++ ion with q_D=+3.2 then for the shell particle I'd set
>>> +3.2 and for the Mg atom I should stay with +2? So far -in order to maintain
>>> charge neutrality of the system- I've been using -1.2 for Mg to have the
>>> correct +2e for the AD duett. Big difference!
>>
>> Yes, the Drude and core atom will have charges of opposite sign to yield the
>> total charge on the pair.  A positively charged auxiliary particle is a bit
>> weird, but not wrong, if the model was parametrized that way.  Normally the
>
> I've tried writing +2 charge for Mg in the TOP file and let GROMACS combine
> it with the Drude charge of +3.2 but it has set a total charge of ca.
> few thousands
> e and induced a great movement of the shell particles. The average A-D
> distance raised from ca. 0.01 to 0.3 nm! I consider the original solution
> better (I pre-combine q_D with q_A and write q_C=q_A-q_D into the TOP file).

Not sure I follow (excerpts from the .top are preferred); my suggestion was not
to assign +2 to the Mg2+ core atom, as that would not make sense.  The value of
q_total (q_A + q_D) should be 2, so the original approach was right.  I was only
questioning the logic of having a positively charged auxiliary particle.  That
is quite exotic (though, again, not necessarily wrong).

>> The way I have done the exclusions is redundant and in principle not totally
>> necessary.  Atom-Drude pairs connected via bonds or within [polarization]
>> directives (e.g. 1-2 and 3-4) should already be excluded from one another,
>> so in reality:
>>
>> [ exclusions ]
>> 1 3 4
>> 2 3 4
>>
>> should cover it.
>
> I does, at least my job is functionally runs but MDRUN stops for too low
> atomic displacements while forces are in the sky:
>
> # Step=    2, Dmax= 5.0e-03 nm, Epot= -1.35892e+08 Fmax= 3.49164e+07, atom= 1242
> # Step=    3, Dmax= 6.0e-03 nm, Epot= -1.72899e+08 Fmax= 8.98685e+08, atom= 1900
> # Step=    7, Dmax= 9.0e-04 nm, Epot= -3.21500e+09 Fmax= 1.05629e+16, atom= 6794
> # Step=   18, Dmax= 1.1e-06 nm, Epot= -1.33283e+09 Fmax= 1.08140e+14, atom= 679
> # Energy minimization has stopped, but the forces have not converged to the
> # requested precision Fmax < 0.1 (which may not be possible for your system).
> # It stopped because the algorithm tried to make a new step whose size was too
> # small, or there was no change in the energy since last step. Either way, we
> # regard the minimization as converged to within the available machine
> # precision, given your starting configuration and EM parameters.
>
> 1. Usual landing at ca. 1e-6 nm for Dmax...OK
> 2. Last Epot is usually higher than the one before...?
> 3. Fmax almost monotonically increases...?
> 4. Not all steps are written, although I'd like to look at them...?

This means that intermediate steps were unsuccessful; mdrun only writes an
update when the potential energy has decreased, so for instance, steps 9-17
produced no useful modification.

> (After MDRUN -using dmxdump and editconf- I put normal atoms
> and shell particles in a separate animated XYZ files to see morphing
> the input into an output and somtimes miss more details. If it was possible,
> I'd take a look also at the Drude optimization steps between two EM steps.)
>
> Setting a_Thole to a different value or rescale too large literature
> polarizabilities
> do not help. In fact, there is no big difference even between applying
> or omitting
> [thole_polarization] along with [polarization].

Can you provide a link to the paper(s) that describe your model?  I've been
working largely blind here trying to guess at what the issues might be, but if
Thole screening isn't making a big impact, then it may not be part of the model
at all.

> One more -for me, now unfortunate- consequence of Thole-ing the
> polarizability: after successfully avoiding through-cell bonds in my
> PBC simulation, I've now re-introduced them via screening.
> Had to set "periodic-molecules = yes" in the MDP file, yet have
> the following question.
>
> There are big many A-D particle pairs very close to the walls and,
> of course, to other dipoles on the other side.
> What if I simply Thole+exclude them like fully internal AD_i-AD_j
> pairs of particle pairs? Will it be a long quasi-bond from one wall
> to the opposide side-wall or it will just be a short through-wall bond?

If you are using periodic_molecules = yes, then it will be a bond through the
wall, not across the unit cell.

> I think the majority of the pairs of AD combos are fully inside the
> box so I don't expect the full solution from this but it needs be clarified.
>
> You've mentioned correcting the Thole-code by a scale factor.
> Can I emulate this correction by scaling the polarizabilities
> in the TOP file?

No, I've made wholesale changes to the code in the way that energies and forces
are computed.  The current code has bugs.  If you want a modified version (beta
software, so caveat emptor), contact me off-list.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore