[gmx-users] Performance of beowulf cluster

Abhishek Acharya abhi117acharya at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 07:01:30 CEST 2014

Hello gromacs users,
I am planning on investing in a beowulf cluster with 6 nodes (48 cores) each with AMD Fx 8350 processor, 8 GB memory  connected by 1 Gigabit Ethernet switch. Although I plan to add more cores to this cluster later on, what is the max performance expected from the current specs for a 100,000 atom simulation box ? Also, is it better to invest in a  single 48 core server ? The cluster system can be set up at almost half the price of a 48 core server, but do we lose out on performance in the process??

Regards,

Abhishek Acharya