[gmx-users] Can we set the number of pure PME nodes when using GPU&CPU?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 23:50:18 CEST 2014

That's not what I said.... "You can set..."

-npme behaves the same whether or not GPUs are in use. Using separate ranks
for PME caters to trying to minimize the cost of the all-to-all
communication of the 3DFFT. That's still relevant when using GPUs, but if
separate PME ranks are used, any GPUs on nodes that only have PME ranks are
left idle. The most effective approach depends critically on the hardware
and simulation setup, and whether you pay money for your hardware.

Mark