[gmx-users] Protein-ligand complex energy minimization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 12 13:38:21 CEST 2014

On 8/12/14, 4:58 AM, Indu Kumari wrote:
> Grompp terminated and shows following warning and notes:
> NOTE 1 [file topol.top, line 57]:
>    System has non-zero total charge: -0.675997
>    Total charge should normally be an integer. See
>    http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Floating_Point_Arithmetic
>    for discussion on how close it should be to an integer.

Your topology is badly broken.

> Warning: atom name 3706 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (O1 -
> OW)
> Warning: atom name 3707 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (P1 -
> HW1)
> Warning: atom name 3708 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (O2 -
> HW2)
> Warning: atom name 3709 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (O3 -
> OW)
> Warning: atom name 3710 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (O -
> HW1)
> Warning: atom name 3711 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (P2 -
> HW2)
> Warning: atom name 3712 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (O5 -
> OW)
> Warning: atom name 3713 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (O6 -
> HW1)
> Warning: atom name 3714 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (O4 -
> HW2)
> Warning: atom name 3715 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> OW)
> Warning: atom name 3716 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> HW1)
> Warning: atom name 3717 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> HW2)
> Warning: atom name 3718 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> OW)
> Warning: atom name 3719 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> HW1)
> Warning: atom name 3720 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> HW2)
> Warning: atom name 3721 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> OW)
> Warning: atom name 3722 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> HW1)
> Warning: atom name 3723 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> HW2)
> Warning: atom name 3724 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> OW)
> Warning: atom name 3725 in topol.top and fws_ion.pdb does not match (NA -
> HW1)
> (more than 20 non-matching atom names)
>
> WARNING 1 [file topol.top, line 57]:
>    43 non-matching atom names
>    atom names from topol.top will be used
>    atom names from fws_ion.pdb will be ignored

The topology is also out of order with respect to the coordinate file, so any
simulation that uses it will be totally nonsensical.  The order of [molecules]
must exactly match that of the coordinate file, though given the nasty charge
shown above, you have probably broken something else much earlier.

> Analysing residue names:
> There are:   350    Protein residues
> There are:     4      Other residues
> There are:    15        Ion residues
> There are: 21556      Water residues
> Analysing Protein...
> Analysing residues not classified as Protein/DNA/RNA/Water and splitting
> into groups...
> Analysing residues not classified as Protein/DNA/RNA/Water and splitting
> into groups...
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group rest is 205188.00
> Largest charge group radii for Van der Waals: 6.365, 3.730 nm
> Largest charge group radii for Coulomb:       6.365, 4.811 nm
>
> WARNING 2 [file em.mdp]:
>    The sum of the two largest charge group radii (11.176151) is larger than
>    rlist (1.000000)

This is either the result of having broken some molecule(s) incorrectly or may
simply be due to PME.  Given the large charge group radii shown, I suspect the
former.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601