[gmx-users] g_sas

Eric Smoll ericsmoll at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 19:40:09 CEST 2014

Rajat,

Thank you for the rapid response. It is very helpful.

"1) Yes. Use a probe radius of 0 nm.
2) No. There is no verbose option in g_sas AFAIK. As an aside, you may want
to reconsider -xvg none
3) No difference in my experience."

Let me get this straight. You are saying that analyzing a .trr outputs an
average, not trajectory-like information. You are saying, for your specific
system, you see little difference in the surface formed from analyzing a
trajectory and analyzing a snapshot. That may be for a protein but I am
studying a molecular liquid.

"4) g_sas uses vdwradii.dat, which may not have the vdw radius for a
particular atom type. Eg: Phosphorus is not present by default in
vdwradii.dat (for phosphorylated proteins). You may add this manually to a
local copy of vdwradii.dat"

Thank you. Exactly, the information I was looking for!

"Sorry, I misread your mail. You cannot compute the vacuum accessible
surface area for a liquid because the molecules are in constant motion."

So are you saying that *I cannot use g_sas to compute the vacuum accessible
surface area for a liquid at all* or *I cannot use g_sas to compute the
vacuum accessible surface area with a trajectory*?

Surely we can define a vacuum accessible surface for any timestep of this
trajectory, correct? I agree that molecules at the surface are constantly
changing making the definition of a surface ill-defined over a trajectory
but I am looking for some way to obtain a time-averaged atom-composition of
the liquid surface. If g_sas can be used for temporal snaphot .gro file,
perhaps I can extract a variety of timesteps and carry out the calculation
manually.

Thanks again Rajat,

Best,
Eric