[gmx-users] GPU recommendations

Keith Callenberg keithcallenberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:34:02 CEST 2014

Hello GMX-Users,

I have the option of buying a used GTX 680 in good condition for a
reasonable price. I realize there are faster cards on the market if I were
buying new, but I have a limited budget. Is there anything I should worry
about with respect to compatibility with future GROMACS versions?

I'm not worried so much about the card's diminishing competitiveness over
time as new cards come out, as much as I'm worried that newer versions of
GROMACS will require some feature that an older card like the GTX 680
doesn't support. I've had earlier GPUs that were effectively outdated by
CUDA compute capability version. Are there any things like CUDA compute
capability that I should consider looking 1-2 years ahead?

Thanks,
Keith Callenberg