[gmx-users] Most appropriate structure to compare to in g_rms

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 19 13:50:11 CEST 2014

On 8/19/14, 4:17 AM, Natalie Stephenson wrote:
> [...]

Fitting to the entire protein is a bit uncommon; fitting is almost always done
to backbone or C-alpha groups, because for a well-folded protein, the structure
should not change a whole lot.  If you fit to the whole protein, you're trying
to fit against rapidly moving side chains, especially those on the surface whose
motions are not necessarily functionally significant and may actually obscure
detail.

-Justin

>>> Would it be better to use the WT EM.tpr as the reference structure for
>>> everything (i.e. compare everything to the WT crystal structure)? Obviously
>>> these topologies will have slightly different numbers of atoms etc. will this
>>> be a problem?
>>>

>> This will be a problem.  You can get around it, though, by using tpbconv (gmx
>> convert-tpr in 5.0) to extract just backbone atoms from both .tpr files and
>> trajectories.  If you don't, g_rms will complain about mismatching atom numbers
>> or you will be mapping the wrong atoms in the trajectory since the two proteins
>> have different numbers of atoms.
>>
>> Also note that g_rmsf is probably useful here, too, as you can get per-residue
>> fluctuations and RMSD.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

> This is what I had thought - I'll definitely try using tpbconv to fit the backbones and look into changes. Though some of the changes I am interested in are the sidechain movements. I'll definitely try the g_rmsf for this.
> Thanks so much for all the help!
>
> Natalie
>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.