[gmx-users] convergence of MD simulations,

Ali Alizadeh ali.alizadehmojarad at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 20:09:39 CEST 2014

Dear Justin,
Thank you very much for your reply and especially your time.
According to my structural analysis my convergence sounds good as you
mentioned, my diffusion coefficients, RDF, number density profiles over
different time intervals show stable states.

Ali Alizadeh

Justin wrote:

Neither temperature nor total energy tells you anything about
convergence.  They
are related instead to the stability of the various algorithms employed during
the simulation.  In fact, one can manipulate these quantities rather easily by
tweaking settings inappropriately.

Convergence is more rigorously assessed through physical observables in your
system.  For a simple fluid, do its properties (density, diffusion constant,
RDF) change over different intervals of simulation time?  If they do, the
simulation isn't converged.  For biomolecules, looking at any number of
structural properties can be informative.  By your criteria above, my
multi-domain heterodimeric protein complex was converged after about 5 ns.  In
reality, it underwent large, cyclical transitions over the course of 500 ns.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore