[gmx-users] Dipole calculation for one residue.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 19 20:21:19 CEST 2014

On 8/19/14, 1:16 PM, Dawid das wrote:
> I was trying to calculate total dipole moment for one residue of protein
> and I got this error:
>
> Fatal error:
> index[1]=972 does not correspond to the first atom of a molecule
>
> Is it possible at all to calculate dipole for one residue inside  aminoacid
> chain?

Not without either (1) changes to the g_dipoles code or (2) a bit of legwork.

In the latter case, you need to generate a topology and .tpr file for the single
residue of interest, then extract those coordinates from the trajectory using
trjconv, and then run the analysis to fool g_dipoles into thinking you are
working with only that molecule.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601