[gmx-users] Extending simulation problem.

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:45:45 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Dawid das <addiw7 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Well in my *log file nothing about state or *cpi files is mentioned.

Sounds like perhaps your combination of circumstances (-append, no old
output files provided for appending, maybe not even a checkpoint file
provided) is leading to mdrun silently doing the only thing it can do,
which is start again from either the -s or -cpi state. Your description of "I
tried both state.cpt and prev_state.cpt and the beginning of new simulation
looks exactly the same" doesn't help fully - same as what? The start of the
first simulation, or the end of the first simulation?

There are some technical reasons why less output might be written when
doing mdrun -cpi -append, but your description does not make clear whether
they apply.

Acutally I have a question regarding state.cpi files. Does it contain names
> of *gro, *trr, etc. files if they are not standard?

Yes, even if not standard. You can see this with gmx dump -cp state.cpi

> The thing is, that output files from my first 5ns simulation are not
> standard. Now, I perform these calculations not in my working directory but
> on separate scratch.
> In this case, should the output files from previous simulation be present
> in the scratch?

You need to provide the files, however they are named, if you want to do
appending.

> And when I run another 5 ns should I run mdrun with those -c -o and -e
> options?

Yes, or use the -deffnm option to save yourself typing (and errors).

> If yes, should the names of files be the same as in the previous
> simulation?

Yes. Or use mdrun -noappend and do your concatenation later, old-school
style.