[gmx-users] GROMACS version 5.0 incompatible with my hardware - help req

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 21 22:19:44 CEST 2014

On 8/21/14, 3:11 PM, Agnivo Gosai wrote:
> Dear Users
>
> I initially installed GROMACS 5.0 in my office computer and tried running a
> few sample tutorials over there.
>
> It was showing a "illegal instruction : core dumped "error. On searching
> the archived files in the user group I found that the version of GROMACS
> installed in my computer is not compatible with the hardware.

It's not the version of Gromacs, per se, it's the level of optimization.

> So I have uninstalled all the GROMACS files one by one using the command :
> sudo rm -rf /usr/bin/"gromacs command"
>
> My computer hardware configuration is : - (A) Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40
> GHz x 2
> (B) 2.0 GB RAM DDR2
> My OS is ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-Bit
>
> Could anyone please tell me what version of GROMACS I should try installing
> ??

What level of optimization (GMX_SIMD during cmake) was set before?  What does
cmake detect on its own if GMX_SIMD is not explicitly set?  What compilers (and
versions) are you using to compile?

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601