[gmx-users] Missing Residues of PDB file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 27 13:51:28 CEST 2014

On 8/27/14, 6:25 AM, RINU KHATTRI wrote:
> hello justin but what is the use of this command -missing for at least
> one missing residues shall we use this or not

For a missing residue within the chain, you should absolutely not use -missing.
  If you do, you will have a flawed model that will almost certainly crash, and
if it manages to run it's still not physically reasonable.

The only legitimate use of -missing would be in niche cases where you might be
trying to build model compounds or fragments based off of existing residues for
whatever purpose, e.g. if I want to do a simulation of united-atom phenol, I
could use -missing when processing a coordinate file containing a residue name
TYR but without the backbone atoms.

-Justin

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On 8/25/14, 1:31 AM, RINU KHATTRI wrote:
>>>
>>> use -missing in last of command pdb2gmx
>>>

>> This is extremely dangerous and in should not be done in the case of missing
>> residues as it will lead to a broken and useless topology.
>>
>> -Justin

>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy