[gmx-users] Unknown cmap torsion between atoms

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 27 17:54:06 CEST 2014

On 8/27/14, 11:41 AM, Xiang Ning wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Sorry I missed the reply for yesterday. So the atoms are mostly from my peptide:
> 319: atom C of VAL, 321: N of ILE, 323: CA of ILE, 338, C of ILE, and one from
> lipid POPC: 341: atom N of POPC. I just used "pdb2gmx -f box.gro -p box.top" to
> obtain the top file of the whole system, which including water, protein, lipid
> and ions. It generated several itp file and one top file. The CMAP is in
> "box_Protein.itp", which included the itp file of protein and lipid. After that,
> I ran grompp, and then the problem "unknown cmap torsion" occurred. I think the
> torsion was because it can not tell apart the last peptide atom and the first
> lipid atom. Could you please let me know how to solve this problem? Thanks a lot!

This is indeed a result of asking pdb2gmx to process the heterogeneous
environment.  Unfortunately, the lipid atom name is N, and since there are
bonded interactions in amino acids with +N atoms (i.e. the next residue), you're
probably going to get a lot of spurious bonded interactions (not just CMAP).

Your options:

1. Separate the components of the system (protein and lipids) for processing by
pdb2gmx.  Processing a single lipid to get a .top that you can convert to .itp
is my preferred method.
2. Manually remove the spurious interactions from the existing .top file.  There
will probably be a lot.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601