[gmx-users] Unknown cmap torsion between atoms

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 27 23:24:14 CEST 2014

On 8/27/14, 5:20 PM, Xiang Ning wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you very much for your assistance. I divided the system into protein,
> lipid, water and ions, and ran pdb2gmx to obtain the top files, and converted
> the top files to itp files by deleted force filed file, [system] and [molecules]
> in the end of the top files. And then, I combine these files into one top file:
> system.top, it is like the below:
>
> ; Include forcefield parameters
> #include "./charmm36.ff/forcefield.itp"
>
> ; Include protein topology
> #include "pep.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posre.itp"
> #endif
>
> ; Include lipid topology
> #include "POP.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "./charmm36.ff/tip3p.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy  fcz
>     1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> ; Include topology for ions
> #include "./charmm36.ff/ions.itp"
>
> [ system ]
> ; Name
> Protein
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; Compound        #mols
> Protein             1
> Other2              1
> SOL              1776
>
> However, there is a fatal error when I used this system.top ran "grompp -f
> minim.mdp -c system.gro -p system.top -o system.tpr":
> Syntax error - File forcefield.itp, line 9
> Last line read:
> '1      2       yes     1.0     1.0'
> Found a second defaults directive.
>
> I would like to know, how can I combine the itp files into one correct top file?

One or more of your .itp files has an #include "forcefield.itp" statement.
Those need to be removed as well.  The only three differences between .itp and .top:

1. Does not #include a force field
2. Does not have [system]
3. Does not have [molecules]

An .itp is generally a standalone file for one [moleculetype], while a .top is a
full system description, so for a proper .itp, the system-level directives must
be omitted.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601