[gmx-users] Wrong profile obtained in umbrella sampling tutorial

Victor Rosas Garcia rosas.victor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:30:00 CET 2014

Hello everybody,

I'm back.

I have redone part of the tutorial, re-equilibrated the configurations
using the npt-umbrella.mdp, and then the umbrella sampling. I do
notice that, even though my initial configurations were evenly spaced,
after the NPT equilibration they move somewhat, so the histogram shows
a couple of gaps. Please find the histograms image:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K7fedV_ZFzeDlxM1pxdmV5bk0/view?usp=sharing

the histograms show that I am getting again a *very* narrow
distribution for the first window. Actually, it looks to me like half
of the peak, as if the left side of the peak was not plotted.  Could
it be because I am not very proficient in using xmgrace? The plotting
command is "xmgrace -nxy histo1.xvg"

The final profile I get looks the same as before, this is the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2K7fedV_ZFzTnoydHpyQm1OcHc&authuser=0

The profile shows two deep drops in the regions where the histograms leave gaps.

In addition, I have the terminal output of g_wham obtained with the -v
flag (warning: it is an 11MB text file):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2K7fedV_ZFzYU1XcXphVUVyQ28&authuser=0

Is it correct that the final configuration is moved with respect to
the pre-equilibration configuration?

Should I do a longer NPT equilibration of the initial configurations?

Best regards

Victor