[gmx-users] Wrong profile obtained in umbrella sampling tutorial

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 3 00:28:00 CET 2014

On 12/2/14 12:29 PM, Victor Rosas Garcia wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm back.
>
> I have redone part of the tutorial, re-equilibrated the configurations
> using the npt-umbrella.mdp, and then the umbrella sampling. I do
> notice that, even though my initial configurations were evenly spaced,
> after the NPT equilibration they move somewhat, so the histogram shows
> a couple of gaps. Please find the histograms image:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K7fedV_ZFzeDlxM1pxdmV5bk0/view?usp=sharing
>
> the histograms show that I am getting again a *very* narrow
> distribution for the first window. Actually, it looks to me like half
> of the peak, as if the left side of the peak was not plotted.  Could
> it be because I am not very proficient in using xmgrace? The plotting
> command is "xmgrace -nxy histo1.xvg"
>
> The final profile I get looks the same as before, this is the link:
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2K7fedV_ZFzTnoydHpyQm1OcHc&authuser=0
>
> The profile shows two deep drops in the regions where the histograms leave gaps.
>
> In addition, I have the terminal output of g_wham obtained with the -v
> flag (warning: it is an 11MB text file):
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2K7fedV_ZFzYU1XcXphVUVyQ28&authuser=0
>
> Is it correct that the final configuration is moved with respect to
> the pre-equilibration configuration?
>
> Should I do a longer NPT equilibration of the initial configurations?

This is a normal outcome of most umbrella sampling, especially when using
relatively few windows, as in the tutorial.  The best solution is just to go
back and add a few windows centered around the regions of the reaction
coordinate where there is no sampling.  The gaps in the distributions are
throwing off the profile.  The half-distribution is a little bizarre, but seems
at least consistent with the boundaries determined by g_wham; there is zero
sampling below 0.47 nm, so the distribution reflects that fact.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore