[gmx-users] gromacs.org_gmx-users Digest, Vol 128, Issue 12

wh signoreguidami at 163.com
Wed Dec 3 23:01:30 CET 2014

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:49:28 -0500
From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] gromacs.org_gmx-users Digest, Vol 128, Issue
	11

On 12/3/14 4:46 PM, wh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OK, that may be a bug, but I can't imagine why only you experience it.
> Please file an issue at http://redmine.gromacs.org and attach (at
> least) the files you're using for the restart and the commands with
> which you used them.
>
> Mark

>>> message:

>>> continue from the existing checkpoint with mdrun -cpi.  What you're
>>> doing is based on ancient syntax that is no longer relevant.  I'm
>>> guessing that you're probably winding up with discontinuous states
>>> somehow.
>>>

>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations#V
>>> er
>>> sion_
>>> 4_and_Newer

>>> Thank you so much for your timely reply, yet I tried mdrun -s
>>> input.tpr -cpi input.cpt -append
>>>
>>> It still gave the same error message. Could it be a bug? Or I did
>>> something wrong?
>>

>> Bug is possible but unlikely. We definitely don't have enough
>> information to tell because we've gotten half of it each time - what
>> was the conversion
>> + restart combination you actually used? Does the original run stay
>> + stable
>> if it is not interrupted?
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> If I run a long time simulation continuously it can stay stable. I
>> just want to run it in smaller jobs or restart it from a check point
>> because of the limit on computing resources. Suggested by  Justin I
>> used syntax:
>> mdrun -s input.tpr -cpi input.cpt -append, using the cpt file from
>> the previous simulation yet it still gave the same error message.
>>

>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at
>> posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>>

> The thing is I am trying to use the new charm-gui gromacs input
> generator, maybe that's the problem.

If there's an issue there, your simulation should crash immediately, not
upon continuation from a previous point.

-Justin

As I checked the trajectory file before, there is an "protein out of box"
issue. I modified the pbc to fix it. I am not very familiar with the
mechanism here yet I am wondering is it possible when restart from previous
file, gromacs failed to modify the pbc and thus resulted in this problem?