[gmx-users] gromacs.org_gmx-users Digest, Vol 128, Issue 12

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 3 23:04:01 CET 2014

On 12/3/14 5:01 PM, wh wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:49:28 -0500
> From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] gromacs.org_gmx-users Digest, Vol 128, Issue
> 	11
>

> On 12/3/14 4:46 PM, wh wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> OK, that may be a bug, but I can't imagine why only you experience it.
>> Please file an issue at http://redmine.gromacs.org and attach (at
>> least) the files you're using for the restart and the commands with
>> which you used them.
>>
>> Mark

>>> Bug is possible but unlikely. We definitely don't have enough
>>> information to tell because we've gotten half of it each time - what
>>> was the conversion
>>> + restart combination you actually used? Does the original run stay
>>> + stable
>>> if it is not interrupted?
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>>> If I run a long time simulation continuously it can stay stable. I
>>> just want to run it in smaller jobs or restart it from a check point
>>> because of the limit on computing resources. Suggested by  Justin I
>>> used syntax:
>>> mdrun -s input.tpr -cpi input.cpt -append, using the cpt file from
>>> the previous simulation yet it still gave the same error message.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>>>

>> The thing is I am trying to use the new charm-gui gromacs input
>> generator, maybe that's the problem.
>>

> If there's an issue there, your simulation should crash immediately, not
> upon continuation from a previous point.
>
> -Justin
>

> As I checked the trajectory file before, there is an "protein out of box"
> issue. I modified the pbc to fix it. I am not very familiar with the
> mechanism here yet I am wondering is it possible when restart from previous
> file, gromacs failed to modify the pbc and thus resulted in this problem?

PBC is a fundamental aspect of mdrun; I sincerely doubt there is any issue.  You
don't need to modify anything about the input files.  There is no "outside" of a
periodic box and mdrun couldn't care less about our visualization convenience.
If you're modifying files and trying to continue, that's probably the root of
your problem.  A simple continuation should have no problem at all.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore