[gmx-users] 0 +- 0.5 bar ok?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Dec 16 13:41:14 CET 2014

On 12/15/14 11:01 AM, Johnny Lu wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Are these pressures acceptable for reviewers? (I haven't submit anything to
> journals before). What would be different from a simulation with a truly 1
> bar average pressure?
>
> System 1: NVT simulation gives an 0.0 +- 0.5 bar average pressure over
> 600ns with 2 fs timestep. When I averaged the 2nd half of the simulation,
> it gives -0.3 +- 0.5 bar average pressure over 300 ns. The system has 9K
> water molecules, 3 Cl- ions, and 173 amino acid residues (2598 atoms).
>
> System 2: Another simulation that i did was an alanine dipeptide simulation
> with a 5.4 +- 0.2 bar pressure over 250 ns. The last 150 ns gives an
> average pressure of 5.6 +- 0.2 bar. The system has 8k water molecules and
> 32 peptide atoms.

People never report such details unless it is critical to the interpretation of
the results.  As presented here, I have no idea if it's meaningful.  Under NVT,
pressure is going to be based on your enforced box dimensions; it's not usually
a useful quantity.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629