[gmx-users] Ions drifting

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 17 13:59:51 CET 2014

On 12/16/14 11:41 PM, jani vinod wrote:
> Thanks
> following was the mdp file
>
> title           = Protein in ions
> ; Run parameters
> integrator      = md            ;
> nsteps          = 50000000      ;
> dt                  = 0.002             ;
> ; Output control
> nstxout                 = 5000          ;
> nstvout                 = 5000          ;
> nstenergy               = 5000          ;
> nstlog                  = 5000          ;
> nstxtcout               = 5000
>                                  ;
> ; Bond parameters
> continuation            = yes           ;
> constraint_algorithm    = lincs     ;
> constraints                 = all-bonds ;
> lincs_iter                  = 1             ;
> lincs_order                 = 4             ;
> ; Neighborsearching
> ns_type             = grid              ;
> nstlist             = 10               ;
> rcoulomb            = 1.0               ;
> rlist               = 1.0               ;
> rvdw                = 1.0               ;
> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype         = PME               ;
> pme_order           = 4             ;
> fourierspacing  = 0.16          ;
> ; Temperature coupling is on
> tcoupl          = Nose-Hoover
> tc-grps         = Protein Non_Protein
> tau_t           = 0.5     0.5           ;
> ref_t           = 300     300           ;
> ; Pressure coupling is on
> pcoupl                  = Parrinello-Rahman         ;
> pcoupltype              = isotropic                 ;
> tau_p                   = 2.0                       ;
> ref_p                   = 1.0                       ;
> compressibility     = 4.5e-5                ;
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
> pbc             = xyz           ;
> ; Dispersion correction
> DispCorr        = EnerPres      ;
> ; Velocity generation
> gen_vel         = no            ;
> nstcomm         = 1
> comm-mode       = Linear
> comm-grps       = Protein Non_Protein

It does not make sense to separate COM motion removal like this for a simple
protein in water.  As to whether or not this is related to the problem at hand,
I can't necessarily say, but it is artificial.

>>> . So I processed the trajectory with trjconv whole option  followed by
>>> nojump.
>>> After that the protein appear on one side and ions on other

So this is all likely a visualization issue.  Use trjconv to center the protein
in the unit cell in conjunction with -pbc mol.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore