[gmx-users] Preparing a silicon bulk

Kevin C Chan cchan2242-c at my.cityu.edu.hk
Sat Dec 20 16:46:40 CET 2014

I apologize for the previous reply to the list with an ugly subject. I realise it only after I receive a digest. I hope it could be deleted if possible so that it would not be included in the archive as a new thread. Sorry, Users.

Thanks for the reply.

In principle that is what I plan to do - generate a basic topology (with homogeneous charge information) and then manually (or a script) change the charge of each SI atom. Honestly I only have experience of writing a simple topology for a MARTINI system. So what I expect was first to include the gromos forcefield so I have the [defaults] [atomtypes] [bondtypes] defined and then manually write the [moleculetypes] and [atoms] in which I can define the charges (I assume it will overwrite the charge value defined in [atomtypes], right?) then the tens or hundreds of rows of entries were treated as one single molecule and finally the [system] and [molecules].

However I am now stuck at the step that it seems no forcefield provided by Gromacs gives bonded parameters for Si-Si so g_x2top could not work out. Or maybe I should give up g_x2top and just manually write the [bondtypes] according some parameters provided by the literature and combined with nonbonded parameters provided by gromos forcefield, for instance, but this then arises the consistency problem Oh god :(

Thanks in advance and looking forward to any comment or experience sharing.

Regards,

Kevin
ukevi at gmx.hk <mailto:ukevi at gmx.hk>