[gmx-users] Illegal instruction flag raised in GMX 5.0.4

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Tue Dec 23 09:26:20 CET 2014

Hi there,

On 23 Dec 2014, at 08:59, Harry Mark Greenblatt <harry.greenblatt at weizmann.ac.il> wrote:

> BS"D
>
> Gromacs is telling you that the -h option you supplied is not valid for this command.
No, that is not true, the -h option works for all Gromacs commands.
It is exactly this option that lists the valid command line arguments :)

One reason why you could get an illegal instruction at that point is
that your executable was compiled with an instruction set that the CPU you
are running on is not supporting.

E.g. if you run Gromacs cmake on an Intel Ivy Bridge it will compile
in AVX_256 vector instructions. Running mdrun -h on a machine that
has only SSE4.1 will then result in an illegal instruction.

In that case, either compile on the machine you are running on, or use
-DGMX_SIMD=SSE2 for the tools for maximum compatibility.

Carsten