[gmx-users] "Justifying" 4fs production runs after 1fs equilibrations?

unitALX alec.zander at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 15:29:35 CET 2014

Hehe that is a good point!
Indeed, he says that multiple time stepping is a better compromise on
increasing speed. However, he says the NAMD multiple step scheme uses 4fs
for long range electrostatics, while using 1fs for bonded interactions. So
actually, the theoretical root of the disagreement seems to be on the
validity of using length constraints for all bonds. The gist of what he was
saying is that moving to a larger global timestep could cause you to miss
interactions, effectively skipping over small local minima, and deviate
from sampling the "real" hypersurface. He seemed OK with fixing the length
of heavy-atom to hydrogen bonds and doing production at 2fs, but not fixing
heavy-to-heavy bond lengths. Virtual sites + global 4fs seems taboo.

For the same protein, I have a workflow using LINCS all-bonds @ 2fs for
equilibration and production, and a workflow using LINCS all-bonds + vsite
aromatics @ 4fs for equilibration and production. What parameters should I
show for comparison?