[gmx-users] "Justifying" 4fs production runs after 1fs equilibrations?

Piggot T. T.Piggot at soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 11 15:35:42 CET 2014

Hi,

Personally I would also ask your colleague if he could also provide evidence (e.g. published papers) to back up what he is saying to you (i.e. that it is necessary to use a 1 fs timestep with an NVE ensemble to achieve acceptable results). This way, you can make an informed decision based upon the available evidence you can find, rather than simply upon one persons view point. I would suggest the he will find it difficult to come up with such evidence for your case of a straight forward MD simulation.

You should also remember that you are the one that will need to be able to defend (to an examiner or reviewer) what you have done and why. Simply "because the postdoc told me it was the correct thing to do" will (unfortunately) not be good enough!

Cheers

Tom