[gmx-users] Free energy calculation of multiple solutes

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 20 04:36:01 CET 2014

On 2/19/14, 1:05 PM, Jeff Chen wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to calculate the change in free energy that occurs when
> charging multiple type B molecules in an A-B mixture. For example, I have a
> mixture of 900 molecules of type A and 100 of type B. When coulomb
> interactions are on, B is identical to A (something like TIP4P water), but
> when coulomb interactions are off, each B is simply a Lennard-Jones
> particle (in the topology file, I've labelled B differently and called the
> molecule SOLB, but all interaction information is identical to A). To do
> the free energy calculations, I perform different simulations at each
> lambda point. For example, for a simulation with lambda=0, I have the
> following in my .mdp file:
>
> free_energy = yes
> init_lambda = 0.0
> delta_lambda = 0
> foreign_lambda= 0.05
> couple-lambda0=vdw-q
> couple-lambda1=vdw
> couple-moltype=SOLB
>
> and when lamba=1,
>
> free_energy = yes
> init_lambda = 1.0
> delta_lambda = 0
> foreign_lambda= 0.95
> couple-lambda0=vdw-q
> couple-lambda1=vdw
> couple-moltype=SOLB
>
> I expected that when lambda=0, B molecules would behave identically to A
> molecules with the coulombic energy fully turned on (couple-lambda0=vdw-q),
> and when lambda=1, B molecules would behave like LJ particles, with no
> coulombic interactions, either with each other, or with A molecules.
>
> However, when I look at the coulombic energy for B-B interactions (I used
> tpbconv -o to make a new *.tpr for only B molecules, then used mdrun -rerun
> with a trajectory containing only information about B molecules), I find
> that both the short-range and reciprocal coulombic energies are NOT zero as
> I had expected for lambda = 1, and are in fact exactly equal to the
> negative of the respective coulombic energies obtained using the same
> trajectory data when lambda=0.

What are the energies without using tpbconv and mdrun -rerun?  In other words,
it's necessary to figure out whether this is a problem in the original
simulation with the free energy code (unlikely, given how simple the system is)
or a problem using mdrun -rerun in conjunction with the free energy code (far
more likely).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601