[gmx-users] Free energy calculation of multiple solutes

Jeff Chen jeff77chen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 07:00:12 CET 2014

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Without using tpbconv and mdrun -rerun, I'm not sure how to get the
solute-solute energies from gromacs (please let me know it there's a way to
do this) -- since there are many more solvent molecules, the total
potential energy is dominated by solvent-solvent and solvent-solute
interactions. However, the total potential energy from a simulation (not a
free energy simulation) with the solute charges set to zero is different
than that obtained from a free energy simulation with lambda=1 -- the
differences are fairly small, but big enough to be worrisome.

I'll run a system with fewer solvent molecules to get a better handle on
what's going on -- thanks again for your suggestions.

It seems most people do free energy calculations with a single solute
molecule -- in your opinion, is it very unlikely that there is any problem
in the way solute-solute interactions are handled in the free energy
simulations?

Thanks again,

Jeff