[gmx-users] Dubious results with NPT

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:57:06 CET 2014

No full solutions to this problem -- I'll write a few notes.

* With large systems run for relatively small amounts of time, the
ensemble could be statistically indistinguishble from the true
distribution even if the averages don't line up correctly. See:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct300688p

For ways to examine the full distribution of volumes.

* Parrinello-Rahman isn't quite correct in GROMACS because virial and
kinetic energy are offset by 1/2 a step, though getting something more
like 1.2 atm when running at 1 atm is more common.

* Note that with systems that are heterogeneous in direction (not
uniform in x y and z), any errors in the pressure may be magnified.

* If you have a property that changes when the pressure changes from 1
to 5 atm, odds are that molecular simulation is not the right way to
study it -- the force fields are not that accurate.