[gmx-users] Dubious results with NPT

Dr. Vitaly Chaban vvchaban at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 16:19:05 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Michael Shirts <mrshirts at gmail.com> wrote:
> No full solutions to this problem -- I'll write a few notes.
>
> * With large systems run for relatively small amounts of time, the
> ensemble could be statistically indistinguishble from the true
> distribution even if the averages don't line up correctly. See:
>
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct300688p
>
> For ways to examine the full distribution of volumes.
>
> * Parrinello-Rahman isn't quite correct in GROMACS because virial and
> kinetic energy are offset by 1/2 a step, though getting something more
> like 1.2 atm when running at 1 atm is more common.

I have been ever wondering why "1.2" and not "0.8" (from the own practice).

> * Note that with systems that are heterogeneous in direction (not
> uniform in x y and z), any errors in the pressure may be magnified.
>
> * If you have a property that changes when the pressure changes from 1
> to 5 atm, odds are that molecular simulation is not the right way to
> study it -- the force fields are not that accurate.

I believe this is not a force field problem. We calculate normal
boiling points by plotting saturated vapor pressure versus
temperature. The results are quite trustworthy. It is NVT simulation,
of course.

As the "problems" with simulated pressure (and conjugated properties)
are, to a large extent, due to a nanoscale size of the simulated
systems, it is probably worthwhile to estimate system density in
certain manner and then proceed with it in the NVT.

Dr. Vitaly V. Chaban