[gmx-users] Overriding Wildcard dihedraltypes

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 16:49:07 CET 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the question, and particularly the detail. It seems that you are
trying use a [dihedraltypes] section in my_molecule.itp, which is generally
a bad idea, because all such directives must appear before the first
[molecule] directive, which defeats the point of molecule.itp files being
somewhat movable. Because of that intention for molecule.itp files, there'd
be no reason to have separate [dihedraltypes] sections that should be
logically treated together, so the code assumes such sections are
separable, and so you get unintended behaviour (perhaps particularly with
wildcard atom types, and/or type 9 dihedrals) unless you change
ffbonded.itp like you have now done.

Recommended procedures are
* to copy the charmm36.ff directory into your working directory and modify
ffbonded.itp to work like you want it to, or
* to give explicit parameters in the [dihedrals] section of your
molecule.itp (*not* [dihedraltypes]), so that the parameter lookup from
[dihedraltypes] is not invoked at all. Note that the behaviour for multiple
matching [dihedrals] is to add the functions; the behaviour for multiple
matching [dihedraltypes] is to override earlier functions (except for type
9).

Mark