[gmx-users] Overriding Wildcard dihedraltypes

hubert santuz hubert.santuz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 18:00:44 CET 2014

Hi,

First, thanks for your detailed response.
> Thanks for the question, and particularly the detail. It seems that you are
> trying use a [dihedraltypes] section in my_molecule.itp, which is generally
> a bad idea, because all such directives must appear before the first
> [molecule] directive, which defeats the point of molecule.itp files being
> somewhat movable. Because of that intention for molecule.itp files, there'd
> be no reason to have separate [dihedraltypes] sections that should be
> logically treated together, so the code assumes such sections are
> separable, and so you get unintended behaviour (perhaps particularly with
> wildcard atom types, and/or type 9 dihedrals) unless you change
> ffbonded.itp like you have now done.
By trying to simplify my problem, I have misleading you.
In fact, I have 2 itp files for my molecule (its is the cholesterol) :
   - One containing all the *types sections [atomtypes, bondtypes,
dihedraltypes] (params_chol.itp)
  - The second one is a 'regular' itp file containing [molecules, atoms,
bond ] sections. (cholesterol.itp)
So, in my topol. top, I have in reality this :

#include "charmm36.ff/forcefield.itp"
#include "params_chol.itp"
#include "cholesterol.itp"

My [dihedraltypes] directive is then before the [molecule] directive.
I have to do this because I have 2 new atoms for this molecule so I need
to declare them somewhere. Therefore, I also need to declare the
bondtypes, angletypes and dihedraltypes associated with these 2 new atoms.
All is working well except this dihedral override.
That's why I suspected a bug but maybe it is that part I'm not doing in
the good way...

> Recommended procedures are
> * to copy the charmm36.ff directory into your working directory and modify
> ffbonded.itp to work like you want it to, or
> * to give explicit parameters in the [dihedrals] section of your
> molecule.itp (*not* [dihedraltypes]), so that the parameter lookup from
> [dihedraltypes] is not invoked at all. Note that the behaviour for multiple
> matching [dihedrals] is to add the functions; the behaviour for multiple
> matching [dihedraltypes] is to override earlier functions (except for type
> 9).
I'll try your second procedure and I'll let you know.
Thanks for the explanation between [dihedrals] and [dihedraltypes], I
didn't know about it.

Best regards,
Hubert