[gmx-users] MD SIMULATIONS ON A CLUSTER

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 21:47:58 CET 2014

On Jan 30, 2014 8:09 PM, "MUSYOKA THOMMAS" <mutemibiochemistry at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Users,
> I have been doing 10 ns MD simulations of protein-ligand complexes on a
> local cluster of 64 cores using GROMACS 4.5.7. However, there seems to be
> no much difference in the time it takes to complete one cycle of an mdrun
> (3-days - same as when I used a machine with 4 cores).
>
> Will be appreciative to know if its possible shorten the time period.

Probably, but not without inspecting the diagnostics in the log file and
knowing a lot more about your hardware and simulation. Some clues can be
found in stage 5 of
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Tutorials/GROMACS_USA_Workshop_and_Conference_2013/Topology_preparation%2c_%22What's_in_a_log_file%22%2c_basic_performance_improvements%3a_Mark_Abraham%2c_Session_1Abut
GROMACS 4.5.7 doors not support OpenMP and there will be many minor
differences.

Or switch to 4.6.5 and get a free ~30% faster just for showing up...

Mark