[gmx-users] Prevent protein rotation - rectangular box

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 3 14:27:05 CEST 2014

On 6/2/14, 9:43 PM, Steven Neumann wrote:
> Thanks but it will take some time to install 5.0 on the cluster. How about
> [ angle_restraints_z ]? I could think of an atom in the protein to restrain
> along z axis (protein length). Not sure how can I measure such an angle
> though and which atom to choose.

Possibly, but I've never tried using anything like that.  The flat-bottom
potential is effectively the same as reflective boundary conditions that nearly
all simulation software has used for a very long time.  No need to reinvent the
wheel.

As an aside, you can always install custom software within your own $HOME
directory, unless the cluster has some weird rules about not running things from
$HOME.  No need to bug a sysadmin, in most cases :)

-Justin

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

>>> https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-
>>> users/2006-July/022914.html

>>> I am studying protein in water. In the dodecahedron box I would have 80K
>>> water molecules which on my GPU machine give 6 ns/day. If I place my
>>> protein to the triclinic box I would get 20K atoms getting 50 ns/day.
>>> Thats
>>> a significant improvement. My protein in 15 nm long and 4 nm width so it
>>> is
>>> likely it can rotate and interact with its periodic image. I wish to
>>> prevent the rotational movements. Would you suggest something?
>>>

>> A flat-bottom restraint would probably accomplish the same thing, applying
>> a restraint in the dimensions perpendicular to the long axis.  The
>> flat-bottom potential is supported as of the first beta release of 5.0.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences