[gmx-users] Prevent protein rotation - rectangular box

Steven Neumann s.neumann08 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:14:13 CEST 2014

Thanks, unfortunately I have such restrictions.

I have defined two atoms which I wish to be dummy in my system. I placed
one in between 2 beta sheets on the one termini of my protein and copy it
moving along the z axis to the other beta sheet. I found closest prtoein
heavy atoms and made constraints with 2 dummy atoms. In my topology :

atomtypes.atp

DUM    0.0000   ; Dummy atom

ffnonbonded.itp (Charmm so all vdwd are turnedd of with them)

DUM    1    00.0000    0.00    V    0.0000000    0.0000000

aminoacids.rtp

[ DUM ]
 [ atoms ]
        DUM       DUM      0.0  0

Then, after pdb2gmx I add both constraints between dummies and closest
protein heavy atoms (4 or 6) and add:

 [ angle_restraints_z ]
 ; i    j    funct    phi    kc    n
6141    6142    1    0    100    1

So the angle between Z axis and two of them is zero with low force constant
- that will prevent protein from the rotation.

grompp with frozen dummies in all directions I got the error that DUM atoms
have a zero mass. Isnt it possible to have atoms with zero masses like
dummies? Shall I add a mass of 0.0000001 or would you suggest something
else? Maybe I should apply [ virtual_sites ] option?

Steven