[gmx-users] Regarding the difference between g_dipoles and g_dielectric calculations

bipin singh bipinelmat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:38:50 CEST 2014

Hi All,

Can someone give me some insights regarding the context under which we use
the g_dipoles or g_dielectric (as mentioned below the two possible way of
calculating dielectric constant) to calculate the dielectric constant of
some molecule during simulation.

g_dipoles computes the total dipole plus fluctuations of a simulation
system.
>From this you can compute e.g. the dielectric constant for low-dielectric
media.

g_dielectric calculates frequency dependent dielectric constants from the
autocorrelation function of the total dipole moment.