[gmx-users] binding delta G, H and S for ion-protein

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Mar 17 09:27:58 CET 2014

On 2014-03-16 19:05, Andrew Bostick wrote:
> Dear Justin
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> All of methods you mentioned ( PMF, TI, FEP, BAR) are used for calculating
> free energy (G). In addition to free energy (G), I want to calculate
> enthalpy (H) and entropy (S).
>
> Are you sure can I use above methods for calculating both of enthalpy (H)
> and entropy (S)?

You can compute H and S by doing a temperature series and use the Van 't
Hoff equation. A bit expensive though. Sometimes for well-defined
systems if you do a PMF you can subtract the enthalpy coming from the
simulation to obtain the entropy. See e.g.
PNAS 108 pp. 6838-6842 (2011)

> Best wishes

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.