[gmx-users] PEG residue

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 18 00:19:41 CET 2014

On 3/17/14, 7:05 PM, dan42 wrote:
> I am new to GROMACS. I am trying to use pdb2gmx to create a topology for PEG
> (O-C-C)n with only H on one terminal and OH on the other. I know that I need
> to add a residue entry to the forcefield for example to aminoacids.rtp in

Well, multiple residues actually, to account for terminal and repeating block
residues.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Polymers

> the gromos54a7.ff folder. However, I do not know how to construct the
> residue entry. I do know the format but I do not know what values to enter
> for bonds, angles, dihedrals ect. Can anyone help me?

Parameters for alkanes are pretty much cut-and-paste from any residue that has
CH2-CH2 linkages, in addition to the CH2-O-H groups at the ends.  You can take
the gb_*, ga_*, and gd_* parameters that you need based on what you find in
ffbonded.itp - parameters are described in some detail there.

The problem you will have is the ether linkages.  AFAIK there are no parameters
for ethers in 54A7, though other related force field parameter sets (i.e., those
for sugars) will have them.  The Gromos parameter sets are all closely linked,
so the parametrization protocol should yield reasonably compatible parameters.
It's something you will want to check thoroughly.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore