[gmx-users] User-defined potentials and meaning of table extension

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 21 11:28:26 CET 2014

On 3/21/14, 5:22 AM, Davide Mercadante wrote:
> Hello GMX users,
>
> I am testing the use of User-defined on a box of water and I came across
> the issue of table-extension option.
>
> I don't understand the use of it. If I specify a cutoff of 1 nm and then
> give a table extension of 0 nm then the cutoff will be 1 nm otherwise it
> will be cutoff+table-extension value. This is pretty clear. However, it is
> not clear why a table extension is needed.

The value of table-extension does not modify the cutoff.  You need to specify
values beyond rc for proper bookkeeping of nonbonded interactions.  So if rc is
1.0 in the .mdp file, it's a good idea to write the table out to 2.0 nm to be in
line with table-extension = 1, the default value.

> As a test, I have run this on only two water molecules placed at a distance
> within the cutoff coupled to table-extension = 0nm and to table-extension =
> 1 nm.
> In both cases, the values listed in the table seem to be considered up to
> the cut-off and the table extension seem to be ignored?
> A puzzling thing that happened is that then, for a box of water (216
> molecules), using table extension = 0 nm (cutoff 0.5 nm) I get an unstable
> and crashing simulation, while if I use table extension = 1 nm (cutoff 0.5
> nm) the system runs smoothly.
>
> Can you please help me to understand this?

Using an extension of zero probably leads to missing interactions.  Note the
second sentence of the table-extension explanation in the manual tells you why
it is needed.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601