[gmx-users] User-defined potentials and meaning of table extension

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:52:53 CET 2014

With the group scheme, rlist constructs a neighbour list that is updated
every nstlist steps. The relative size of rlist and (say) rcoulomb
determines what that means, e.g. for having a buffer. If there is no
potential modifier, then rcoulomb is not used in the kernel, so particles
can diffuse past rcoulomb over the lifetime of the list. Then, a table
extension might be wanted. But I think the need for it is anachronistic
(from when there were no modifiers).

Buffering, strict cutoff, and modifier are all automatic in the verlet
scheme. AFAIK table-extension is then pointless.

Your water experiment should work with zero table-extension and nstlist=1.
Please let us know how you go!

Mark