[gmx-users] changing the viscosity of water in a simulation

Christoph Junghans junghans at votca.org
Wed Sep 3 17:30:50 CEST 2014

> Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 20:02:01 +0200
> From: "Dr. Vitaly Chaban" <vvchaban at gmail.com>
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] changing the viscosity of water in a
>         simulation
>
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:59 AM, soumadwip ghosh
> <soumadwipghosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>       I am a newbie to MD simulation. We are working in the direction of
>> finding the molecular origin of internal friction of protein folding. For
>> this we have to run folding simulations at different solvent viscosity and
>> plot protein reconfiguration time against solvent viscosity. Currently, we
>> have been using TIP3P water molecules for simulations run on GROMACS 4.5.6.
>> I wwill be highly grateful if someone tells me how to change the viscosity
>> of water.
>

> To change water viscosity, you must be assigned as God.
That is not 100% correct, there are thermostats, which allow to change
the transport properties (incl. the viscosity):
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cpc.2008.01.018>
Unfortunately the DPD thermostat isn't implemented in Gromacs, so you
will have to use another MD package like OpenMM,  ESPResSo++ or
ESPResSo.

Cheers,

Christoph

> Pick up another FFM.