[gmx-users] non-zero charge

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 5 12:06:32 CEST 2014

On 9/5/14, 3:27 AM, Indu Kumari wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> No, if your system is showing some charge then it gives a note not an
> error. So the reason is something else, check your .mdp file.

In this case, a fractional net charge of this magnitude indicates a serious
topology error.  It is a note rather than a warning because of floating-point
math, which can lead to very small, meaningless fractional charges (on the order
of 0.0001 or so, usually), so we cannot with certainty always say that a
fractional charge is "wrong" (and hence an error).

-Justin

> With regards,
> Indu
>

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Lovika Moudgil <lovikamoudgil at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone , I want to ask one question , that my system have non-zero
>> total charge and its not an integer too .
>>
>> System has non-zero total charge: -0.255000
>>

>> Is this one of the reason that my system is blowing up .
>>

>> Regards
>> Lovika
>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at