[gmx-users] g_energy_d average

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 12 20:28:32 CEST 2014

On 9/12/14 2:25 PM, Johnny Lu wrote:
> Hi.
>
> g_energy_d:
> Statistics over 901701 steps [ 0.0000 through 450.8500 ps ], 1 data sets
> All statistics are over 90171 points
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Pressure                  0.0989539       0.96    151.279    1.08511  (bar)
>
> (g_energy gives same numbers)
>
> I use libreoffice spreadsheet to open the xvg file output by g_energy_d
>
> Spreadsheet average is 0.4817, over 9018 rows, with standard deviation 153.
>
> Why these two averages are different?

The .edr file stores energy history, so its statistics are accurate over all MD
steps.  Post-processing of data stored only every nstenergy steps is limited to
only those values.  The only way the two quantities agree is if nstenergy = 1.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore