[gmx-users] PBC problem in bilayer system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Sep 14 14:46:27 CEST 2014

On 9/14/14 8:43 AM, shahab shariati wrote:
> Dear Justin
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I inserted 4 drug molecules in close vicinity to the membrane surface
> in water phase, in one side of bilayer (for example, top). In the
> different frames of trajectory, some of drug molecules (one or two
> drug molecules) are seen in other side of bilayer (bottom).  I really
> do not know what thing has to be translated. Should I shift all
> components of my system (DPPC, drug, and water molecules) along z or
> only drug molecules?

Translate the whole system.

> The dimensions of my system in final gro file are as follows:
>
>   6.46063   6.57889   8.30034
>

> Based on your reply (The exact magnitude depends on the dimensions of the
> system), should I use following command:
>

> trjconv –trans 6.46063   6.57889   8.30034

If you used pressure coupling, no, because the box dimensions will change over
time.  Moreover, you do not want to change x and y.  As I said before, you want
to translate along z.  Try a few values and see if you get a reasonable result.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore