[gmx-users] PBC problem in bilayer system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 16 02:20:44 CEST 2014

On 9/15/14 3:12 PM, shahab shariati wrote:
> Dear Justin
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> You said " The raw output of g_traj in this case is not very useful "
>
> I want to know position and location of drug molecules relative to the DPPC
> bilayer during simulation time.
>
> In your opinion, how should I use this tool (g_traj)?

I wouldn't.  You can extract the needed information with a couple of steps of
post-processing, but it's not worth it when g_dist will do this with no extra
effort.

> Is g_dist appropriate for obtaining distance between center of mass of the
> drug molecules and DPPC lipid bilayer as a function of simulation time?

Yes, use g_dist.  But the x- and y- components aren't useful, so the (absolute
value of) the z-component of the distance is what you need.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore