[gmx-users] Different energies of GPU and CPU-only runs with Gromacs 5.x

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 11:52:33 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Machtens, Jan-Philipp <
j.machtens at fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!
> However, the differences between GPU runs and CPU-only runs for
> Gromacs 5.x that I observe are statistically significant (10-100 ns for
> each test sim) (and reproducible).
> In contrast, with Gromacs 4.6.x I do not have significant differences that
> I can apparently attribute to the use of GPUs.

OK. I would expect to observe a *total* energy that was constant across 4.6
and 5 and CPU-only vs with-GPUs. Please open an issue at
http://redmine.gromacs.org/ and describe as much detail as you can. A
tarball with .tpr, grompp-input, and whole .log files would let us analyze
and reproduce your observations and work out what is going on. Thanks!

Is there any other reason for the deviation with GPU and GROMAC 5.x ?

Not by design :-) All the relevant changes that I can think of either
removed code paths for old hardware, or tweaked performance (in various
kinds of ways). There were a bunch of fixes introduced into 4.6.6 and 5.0
that could be relevant, but we need the gory details to know.

Mark

Best,