[gmx-users] I: How to rolled up a polymer chain

Johnny Lu johnny.lu128 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 00:41:33 CEST 2014

Molecular dynamics software, like gromacs, use a set of rules to simulate
the real world.
This set of rules is a force-field.

Force field is the simplified physical rules of the real world that are
hopefully approximately right.
Such simplified rules usually can not describe everything in the real
world.
Usually people have to extend the forcefield by finding the correct
parameters (using spectrums from experiments, quantum mechanical
calculation... just the way that people used to make a force field in the
first place) to simulate drugs within proteins.

You can either extend the force field; so that the force-field describe
polyethylene.
Or use an existing force field that can describe polyethylene.

So far, I guess the force-fields implemented in gromacs can not describe
polyethylene (unless you change the force-fields).