[gmx-users] does gromacs-4.6 support intel core Quad Q9550 cpu?

Vedat Durmaz durmaz at zib.de
Thu Sep 25 12:16:46 CEST 2014

hi guys,

sorry for disturbing!

the pc of a student here has ubuntu 14.04 installed on it along with the
gromacs version 4.6.5 debian/ubuntu binaries from the ubuntu repositories.

when we start mdrun, we get an german error message saying:

"ungültiger maschinenbefehl" (something like "invalid machine command").
when searching the internet i got the feeling that this has something to
do with the cpu.

cat /proc/cpuinfo yields (among others):

flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni
dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave
lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority

can anybody confirm that this cpu with the given properties/flag is not
supported by gromacs 4.6 debian binaries? if so, would compiling it from
the sources remedy the problem? if so, which flag must be set for
builing/compiling gromacs accordingly?

thanks a lot & take care

vedat