[gmx-users] position restrains while pull simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Sep 27 13:37:59 CEST 2014

On 9/27/14 12:10 AM, shivangi nangia wrote:
> Dear gmx-users,
>
> I am doing a pull simulation in CG MARTINI and following the tutorial:
> http://bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/05_pull.html
>

> My systems contains POPC and cardiolipin (grouped as Lipid in index file),
> protein, water and ions.
>
> I want to position restrain the Lipid.
>
> I used genrestr to create an .itp for the lipid (both popc and cardiolipin
> combined)

This won't work, at least not as intended.  Position restraints are applied per
[moleculetype], so you need to create individual restraint .itp files for each
lipid.  See example at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Atom_index_n_in_position_restraints_out_of_bounds

> I included the following at the end of both cardiolipin and popc respective
> .itp files:
> #ifdef POSRES_POPC_CARD
> #include "posre_popc_card.itp"
> #endif
>
> In my .mdp file I included:
> define = -DPOSRES_popc_card
>
> I was able to successfully compile and generate .tpr file to do the pull
> simulations.

grompp succeeds because the capitalization of the #ifdef and the define
statement don't match, so the restraints aren't invoked.  If they were, they
would certainly give rise to a fatal error.

-Justin

> I noticed that after the pull, the lipid beads are also getting
> "drained/stretched" along with the protein.
>
> Could you please guide as to why this may be happening even though I have
> the restrains on.
>

> Kindly help.
>

> Thanks,
> sxn