[gmx-users] Performance of GTX 980 and 970

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 16:27:33 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Mirco Wahab
<mirco.wahab at chemie.tu-freiberg.de> wrote:
> On 29.09.2014 14:31, Pappu Kumar wrote:
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone tested the performance of new GTX 980 and 970
>> cards and compared to 780/780Ti/Titan using the input systems given here
>

> As long as I don't have a card, I can only guess.
>
> But: until the appearance of reasonable benchmarks, you
> can look at the F at H-results:
>
> single:
> http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8526/67747.png

Note that that's the GB single precision benchmark's plot which shows
surprising large performance gap between 780 Ti and 980 - perhaps
there's something in the OpenMM GB kernels that favors Maxwell.

This is the explicit solvent performance plot:
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8526/67746.png
showing ~25% improvement over a 780 Ti (still pretty impressive). This
is close to what I'd have guessed based on extrapolating the 750 Ti
performance.

Also note that this is OpenCL performance which is inherently worse
than CUDA and the OpeCL-CUDA difference may not be the same across all
architectures!

Cheers,
--
Sz.