[gmx-users] Setting custom atoms in FF

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 1 22:46:51 CEST 2015

On 4/1/15 4:37 PM, Alex wrote:
> I am not mixing forcefield types, but I am indeed mixing angle types. I
> suppose I will adjust my constants so the local derivatives near
> equilibrium roughly correspond to what I need while sticking to the rtp
> default, I can't see another way around.
>
> I have tremendous respect for you guys, but I too developed a ton of code
> for atomistic methods and I do not see the rationale for imposing this
> rigidity.  I would understand it, if the code used mathematically

It's a simple convention that works well for biomolecular systems, for which
GROMACS is principally suited.  It works well in nearly all cases, but clearly
not here.  If you want to file a feature request, we welcome feedback and input
on redmine.gromacs.org, but the developers do what they have time for based on
their interests.  If you want to submit a patch to introduce new functionality,
great!  Please do; we need contributions from users for things like this.

-Justin

> cumbersome potentials, but with all these polynomial springs, the forces
> could be done in a switchable manner in a single sweep...
>
> Thanks for clarifying this, Justin. Kind of a crucial point.
>
> Alex
>

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 4/1/15 4:24 PM, Alex wrote:
>>
>>> That is the issue. I AM using -noparam, and x2top is reverting to an
>>> incorrect
>>> bond type. Which then sets off errors in grompp, because indeed it looks
>>> up the
>>> bond in ffbonded and sees nothing for the bond type just produced by
>>> x2top. As
>>> soon as I manually modify bond types in topology, the problem is solved.
>>>

>> The function type is read from the header of the .rtp.  If you want to
>> change the way the force field works, modify that.  If you're mixing types,
>> you're out of luck in terms of automation.
>>

>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences