[gmx-users] problem with dihedral restraints in gromacs 5.0.4

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 10 18:53:20 CEST 2015

On 4/10/15 12:06 PM, Agnieszka Slowicka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with implementation of dihedral restraints in gromacs 5.0.4.
>
> I introduced restraints into a topology file after the section with
> protein topology as fallowing:
>
> ; dihedral restraints added manually: phi,psi, chi1 and chi2
> ; reference values = cluster 1 of charmm/tip4p
> [ dihedral_restraints ]
> ; ai   aj    ak    al     type  phi  dphi  kfac
> ; phi C(n-1) - N - CA - C
>      5    7     9    29     1    -82     0     1
> ; psi N - CA - C - N(n+1)
>      7    9    29    30     1     121    0     1
> ; chi1 N - CA - CB - CG
>      7    9    11    14     1    -177    0     1
> ; chi1 CA - CB - CG - CD1
>      9    11    14     15   1    -106    0     1
>
> The previous version of the topology file with label and power parameters
> doesn't work generating error.
>
> I introduced the restraints section into the .mdp:
>
> ;dihedral restraints
> dihre               =  yes
> dihre_fc            =  100     ; kJ/(mol rad^2)
> dihre_tau           =  0.0
> nstdihreout         =  250
>

> Gromacs works with this implementation but the restraints are not take
> into account. I don't see information about input parameters for dihedral
> restraints in my log file, however something is calculated because I found
> there:
>
> Energies (kJ/mol)
>             Bond            U-B    Proper Dih.  Improper Dih.          LJ-14
>      1.71840e+01    6.93870e+01    4.03491e+01    7.20053e+00    4.07828e+01
>       Coulomb-14        LJ (SR)   Coulomb (SR)   Coul. recip.     Dih. Rest.
>      1.80019e+02    6.68397e+03   -4.46824e+04    1.08339e+02    3.82359e-01
>        Potential    Kinetic En.   Total Energy  Conserved En.    Temperature
>

> I am sure that my restraints don't work because standard deviation of
> restrained angles is the same order like without restraints.

Given that the energy associated with the dihedral restraints is 0.38 kJ/mol,
I'd say they're just doing very little to help you :)  The dihedral restraint
options are ignored (well, technically they're removed) in an input .mdp file,
and it seems that kfac is not a scaling factor at present, it is the actual
force constant.  That seems to agree with the fact that you're seeing a very
light restraint with little effect.  Try setting kfac equal to the actual force
constant you want.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629